Federer on his way to Oz via Singapore

Roger Federer made a flying visit to prosperous Singapore on behalf of sponsor Credit Suisse on his way to the southern hemisphere and the impending start of the Australian Open.

The world No. 2 flew in from his training base in Dubai, where he has been practicing for the past several weeks under the supervision of coach Paul Annacone. Contrary to his usual practice, the 31-year-old will head to Melbourne Park without a tune-up event after having staged a lucrative South American tour last month.

The 17-time grand Slam champion made an appearance for his banking giant sponsor in the city-state but did not flash a racquet.

Federer told local media in a meet-and-greet that he is working at this stage of his career on consistency. "Longevity is the word that I'm looking for. I love the pressure of playing and, with the new generation coming up, I have to work harder to stay at the top with the best," he said.

"Pressure is a privilege, and I enjoy being in the spotlight. I still love the game after all these years."

He also said that talk of his decline remains just that - talk, adding that he is as keen as ever to keep setting records.

"Ever since I broke the all-time Grand Slam record, all-time No 1 record and weeks at No. 1...to peak at the world tour finals this year is very important for me too. Records in some shape or form always happen to be around if I do play well. I don't think it's a motivation right here and now, but when I get close to it and the media reminds me, it's very inspiring.

"Everyone has to fade away eventually, but I'm not 89 yet. I'm still very young and I know tennis won't last forever so I might as well make the best of it while it lasts.

"I really am playing great tennis, and I am feeling the best playing against the best. I will try to make this last as long as I can."